Name:______Cellular Reproduction Vocabulary Date:______Use Page Numbers! Assignment #______Block #____ WORD DEFINITION
Cellular reproduction in prokaryotic cells. Means “Splitting into two 3. Binary Fission parts” Pg 92
Each chromosome of a pair of similar chromosome 4. Homologous Chromosomes Pg 93 The two copies of the chromosome once it is duplicated 5. Chromatids Pg 93
Where the chromatids are connected 6. Centromere Pg 93
7. Mitosis The complicated process of separating duplicated chromosomes Pg 93
8. Cytokinesis The process where the cytoplasm splits in two Pg 95 WORD DEFINITION
10. A type of asexual reproduction, where the organism breaks into two or Regeneration more parts, each growing into a new organism that is genetically identical (fragmentation) to the parent Pg 612 The production of offspring by combining the genetic material of more 11. Sexual than one parent reproduction Pg 613 A single parent has offspring that are identical to itself 12. Asexual reproduction Pg 613 The male sex cell 13. Sperm Pg 613
The female sex cell 14. Egg Pg 613
The new type of cell that is made when an egg’s nucleus fuses with a 15. Zygote sperm’s nucleus Pg 613
17. Sex Cells Specialized cells that combine to form a zygote, they have half the normal Pg 114 number of chromosomes, one of each pair.
18. Meiosis A process where the chromosomes are copied and separated in such a Pg 115 way that each daughter cell has half the normal number of chromosomes.
19. Sex The chromosomes that carry the genes that determine gender. Chromosomes Pg 119
20. Fertilization The joining of an egg and a sperm Pg 613
22. Spindle Fibers that connect to the centromeres of the chromosomes and that Fibers help push and pull the chromosomes apart during mitosis
23. Interphase The cell is at “rest” Chromosomes and other cell materials are copied
24. Prophase First stage of mitosis, nuclear membrane breaks apart, the centrioles move to opposite sides of the cell WORD DEFINITION
25. Metaphase Second phase of mitosis, the chromosomes line up along the equator of the cell
26. Anaphase Third phase of mitosis, the chromatids separate and are pulled to oppo- site sides of the cell
27. Telophase Forth and final phase of mitosis, nuclear membranes reform around the chromosomes and they unwind.