BOARD OF EDUCATION
VESTAL CENTRAL SCHOOLS
Vestal, New York
Auditorium Tuesday, November 12, 2013
African Road Elementary School
6:00 PM REGULAR MEETING
I. Meeting Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance
II. Board Workshop
A. Common Core overview to buildings/parent groups
B. Agenda for 11/13/13 – Math Modules K-5 Information Night
III. Spotlight on African Road Elementary School
IV. Motion to adjourn into anticipated Executive Session to review the recommendations from the Committee on Special Education and the Committee on Preschool Special Education. Electronic Attachments
V. Approval of Minutes from the Meeting of October 22, 2013 Electronic Attachment
VI. Public Comment on Agenda Items
A. Student Government Representative
B. Board President
2. Review of NYSSBA Annual Convention
3. BOCES common calendar
C. Superintendent of Schools
1. Review of Senior High Course Handbook 2014-15
2. Early Release Days – Senior High schedule
3. Parent group meetings – Common Core overview
4. Health Insurance Consortium
5. New SRO – Corey Shirley
6. Collaborative efforts with Binghamton City School District
VIII. New Business
A. Acceptance of Schedules Electronic Attachments
1. Schedule A - Treasurer’s Report (October)
2. Schedule B - Year-to-Date Budget Report (October)
3. Schedule C - Internal Auditor’s Report (October)
4. Schedule E – Enrollment Report
5. Schedule F – Travel/Conference Report
B. Approval of Schedule P - Personnel Electronic Attachments 1. Instructional Personnel
2. Non-Instructional Personnel
C. Other Matters of New Business
1. RESOLUTION RE: Bid Award for Meat/Cheese/Dairy Products Electronic Attachment
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education of the Vestal Central School District accepts the results of the cooperative bid for Meat/Cheese/Dairy Products through the Broome County Specification Group for the period 11/1/13 through 12/31/13.
2. RESOLUTION RE: Contractual Agreement with Union-Endicott Central School District Electronic Attachment
RESOLVED, that the President or Vice-President of the Board of Education be authorized to sign a contract with the Union-Endicott Central School District to accept Vestal student participation in the US FIRST Robotics program in accordance with terms outlined in the agreement.
3. RESOLUTION RE: Contract with Town of Vestal: School Resource Officer Electronic Attachment
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education President or Vice-President is authorized to sign the School Resource Officer agreement with the Town of Vestal for the 2013-14 school year, for an amount not to exceed $45,460.00.
4. RESOLUTION RE: Acceptance of Gifts Electronic Attachment
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education pursuant to its authority under Section 1709(12) of the Education Law hereby accepts the following gifts:
Description Approx. Value Donor Recipient
Give With Target $39.00 Target Corporation Vestal Central
(Clayton Avenue) School District
Give With Target $97.00 Target Corporation Vestal Central
(Tioga Hills) School District
Give With Target $222.00 Target Corporation Vestal Central
(Vestal Hills) School District
Gannett Foundation $100.00 Gannett Foundation Vestal Central
Volunteer Match and David Hogan School District
(Glenwood Organic Play Area)
Give With Target $272.00 Target Corporation Vestal Central
(Glenwood) School District
5. RESOLUTION RE: Unit Cost Methodology for BOCES Services Electronic Attachment
RESOLVED, that the attached unit cost methodology is hereby approved for shared services with the Broome-Tioga Board of Cooperative Educational Services for the 2014-2015 school year.
6. RESOLUTION RE: Health and Welfare Service Charges Electronic Attachment
RESOLVED, that a fee of $424.08 per pupil be established for health and welfare services available to non-resident pupils attending private or parochial schools in the Vestal School District during the 2013-14 school year.
7. RESOLUTION RE: Professional Services Agreement with Kathleen Kreidler
RESOLVED, that the President or Vice President of the Board of Education be authorized to sign a contract with Kathleen Kreidler to provide costumer services for the senior high musical performance, in an amount not to exceed $1500.00, per the terms of the attached agreement. This is a budgeted expense.
8. RESOLUTION RE: Field Trip Approval; High School, Middle School Students to NYC
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education give permission to approximately 40 high school and 40 middle school students to attend a theatrical workshop and performance in New York City on May 31, 2014. There is no cost to the district for this trip.
9. RESOLUTION RE: Memorandum of Understanding – Broome County Foster Grandparent Program (Broome County Office for Aging) Electronic Attachment
RESOLVED, that the President or Vice President of the Board of Education be authorized to sign a memorandum of understanding with Broome County Office for Aging (Foster Grandparent Program) for the period 1/1/14-12/31/14, per the terms of the attached agreement.
10. RESOLUTION RE: Acceptance of Donated Property
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education of the Vestal Central School District accepts the donation from the estate of Jennie Kage of a parcel of a 1.56 acre piece of land located at 611 Lagrange Street, Vestal, NY and authorizes the Board President to sign documents necessary to record the deed for this property in the Broome County Clerk’s Office.
11. RESOLUTION RE: Tax Roll Corrections/Application for Refund of Taxes
WHEREAS, the property owners and Town Assessor have requested correction for real property taxes and a refund of taxes paid, the Superintendent of Schools hereby recommends the approval of such correction and refund for the property owners delineated below for the reasons outlined on the submitted application.
Town Tax Map # Taxes Billed Actual Taxes Owner
Vestal 159.05-1-31 $7,124.68 $6,486.68 Roberto, Joseph/Bell, Patricia
12. RESOLUTION RE: Professional Services Agreement with Matthew Gaska
RESOLVED, that the President or Vice President of the Board of Education be authorized to sign a contract with Matthew Gaska to provide co-assistant director services for the senior high musical performance, in an amount not to exceed $2263.00, per the terms of the attached agreement. This is a budgeted expense.
Second Reading and Anticipated Approval of the Following New/Revised Policies:
#3210 Visitors to the School
#3410 Code of Conduct/Maintenance of Order for All on School Property
#6110 Code of Ethics for All District Personnel
#6130 Evaluation of Personnel: Purposes
#7121 Diagnostic Screening of Students
#7220 Graduation Requirements
#7222 Credential Options for Students with Disabilities
First Reading of the Following New/Revised Policies:
#7420 Sports and the Athletic Program
#7421 Concussion Management
#7620 Students with Disabilities Participating in School District Programs
X. Voice of the Public
XI. Future Board Meetings
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 – 6:30pm Special Board Meeting (K-5 Math Modules)
Auditorium; Senior High School
Tuesday, December 3, 2013 – 6:00 PM; Board Workshop and Regular Meeting
Board Conference Room; Administration Building
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 – 7:00 PM; Regular Meeting
Board Conference Room; Administration Building
XII. Motion to adjourn into anticipated Executive Session to discuss VEA negotiations.