Pa Sports Attracts the Biggest Events
PAREPRINT_1_Layout 1 9/17/18 10:44 AM Page 1
PENNSYLVANIA GUIDE • 2019 SPG SPORTS ARE BIG BUSINESS IN THE KEYSTONE STATE PA SPORTS Commonwealth’s rich sports history ATTRACTS THE attracts legions BIGGEST EVENTS of fans Organization brings major competitions to Pennsylvania
EVENT-READY DESTINATIONS AND THEIR 13 TOP VENUES
A Premier Travel Media publication • www.SportsPlanningGuide.com PAREPRINT_2_Layout 1 9/17/18 10:53 AM Page 2
PAREPRINT_3_Layout 1 9/17/18 10:56 AM Page 3
3 Pittsburgh, PA As the site for the first professional football game and the first World Series, Pittsburgh is booming with an authentic, iconic sports history and world-class
We all know Pittsburgh is home to the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers, but what many don’t know is Pittsburgh FACILITY SPOTLIGHT is home to an array of unique activities. From art 1. David L. Lawrence Convention Center museums with collections from one of the world’s most Sports: All famous artists to the one-and-only independent indoor The David L. Lawrence Convention Center features four ﬂoors nonproﬁt aviary in the nation, Pittsburgh has something with 53 meeting rooms, Spirit of Pittsburgh Ballroom and an for everyone to enjoy. The Steel City is also known for its additional meeting space. The convention center has previously ﬂourishing multicultural heritage, resulting in a slew of hosted the USA Karate National Championships and Team delectable eateries found throughout the city. Trials, o¤ering amenities such as 700 indoor parking spaces, catering and concessions, wheelchair accessibility, free and Things to do in Pittsburgh public Wi-Fi and special equipment rental Kennywood Park is Pittsburgh’s cherished amusement park, an ideal family-friendly getaway that’s fun for all ages. Teams can take an exhilarating ride on The 2. PPG Paints Arena Sports: Basketball, hockey, ﬁgure skating, wrestling, Phantom’s Revenge or indulge in a skydiving adventure volleyball at the Skycoaster. To get a true feel for the essence of Pittsburgh, a day spent at the Gateway Clipper Fleet is Home to the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins and host of the a must. Teams and families can choose from a variety ﬁrst and second rounds of the 2018 NCAA Division I Men’s of cruises that take you on sightseeing tours along the Basketball Tournament, PPG Paints Arena boasts the most Monongahela River. comfortable seating arrangement in the NHL, with seats up to 24 inches wide and an accompanying increase in leg room. How to Get to Pittsburgh West Coast sports teams can take I-80 to reach the 3. Heinz Field Steel City. Teams traveling from southern states can take Sports: Football, hockey, soccer, rugby, lacrosse I-77, I-85 or I-79. East Coast teams and families can hop on I-84, I-76 or I-90. Major cities nearest to Pittsburgh Home to the NFL’s Steelers and the NCAA’s University of are Philadelphia, Cleveland, New York, Baltimore and Pittsburgh Panthers, Heinz Field was also home to the 2017 Washington D.C. Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) NHL Stadium Series. In 2016, the stadium set a new attendance is located about 20 miles west of downtown Pittsburgh record at 69,983 spectators during the Keystone Classic. This and is a major hub for US Airways and low-cost carriers facility has an incomparable playing ﬁeld, featuring a heated, such as Allegiant Air, Frontier Airlines and Spirit Airlines. four-variety blend of Kentucky Bluegrass with 12-inch, sand- based rootzone soil that meets USGA speciﬁcations. Planner Perspective “With an amazing local BMX program in South Park BMX SportsPITTSBURGH and outstanding support from VisitPITTSBURGH, our decision was easy.” Derek Dawson Sports Development Director – John David, USA BMX Phone: 412-325-0292 Email: [email protected] Website: www.sportspittsburgh.com
PAREPRINT_4-7_Layout 1 9/17/18 10:59 AM Page 4
Bringing the Biggest and Best Events to Pennsylvania Started in 2003 on a cocktail napkin, PA Sports has helped turn Pennsylvania into a sports tourism powerhouse
PAREPRINT_4-7_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:01 AM Page 5
PAREPRINT_4-7_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:06 AM Page 6
Making a Financial Impact on Pennsylvania’s Communities Success of cities big and small show the Keystone State is a sports tourism destination
PAREPRINT_4-7_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:07 AM Page 7
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 2:14 PM Page 8
hings tT o do in V Falle geory will ﬁnd all their gifts at the King of Prussia Mall, An amazing blend of natural landmarks and modern just under 20 minut a y frawes om LEGOLAND. This ttra actions, Valle Falle ge oory ers an eclectic selection 2.9 million-square-foot mall is America’ largess t of things to do. Montgomery County’s nearly 100 shopping c erent , housing o er 400 ssv seorter ves, en miles of trails promise a di ent adver enture in department s ort es, luxury boutiques and various ery dirve ection. Walk, hike or run through quiet dining options. neighborhoods or liv t wns foely or a complete picture of the city’s many f es. As yacy ou continue w tHo o Get t V y Falleo geory our outy door exdoor cursion, tour the grounds where Planners and teams can reach V Falle ge bory y George Washington and the Continental endured a driving 30 minutes from northwest Philadelphia. harsh winter betw 1777 7-een 8 at the VVallea Falle ory ge PT Ahe P-25 A2, -23 and Int ttaers 7 (Pe ylvenns6 ania National Historicalorical Park. In addition, groups can host urnpikT ) areurnpik all loca cte voned eniently close to ve ents and partake in various r eaecr tional activities tothe wn. Fly int the t wn froo om the Philadelphia at the park. Go from land to the sky at iFLLYY Indoor ernaernaInt tional Airport, a 40-minut driv ae . Tyawe his divingySk in King of Prus Heresia. , both children and airport is serviced by American Airlines, Delta adults can dev skv yelop diving skills while ﬂoating in Airlines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue South esw, t a wind tunnel. Instructors will tr t their ttea eams and Airlines, Spirit Airlines, United Airlines and US amilies tf o an indoor ﬂight show at the end of the riA ways. session. YYoungeroungounger visitors will enjoy building their vwn ino vwn entions at the LEGOLAND Disco Cvo erentery . Children will be inspired by monuments cr ed fraft om vo er one million LEGO bricks and have loads of fun at the indoor pla ound’gry s popular rides. Shoppers
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 2:05 PM Page 9
1. The Proving Grounds Sports: Field hockey, lacrosse, soccer The Proving Grounds houses Villanova University’s premier hockey stadium. This multi-purpose facility accommodates a variety of sports tournaments, including the upcoming Pro Football Hall of Fame World Youth Championship Regional Championship Series—Mid-Atlantic Region from November to December. State-of-the-art amenities, including striped tournament-approved artiﬁcial ﬁelds with surrounding lights make competing even easier.
2. Greater Philadelphia Expo Center Sports: Basketball, billiards, futsal, martial arts, weightlifting, wrestling The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center has seen many national sports tournaments, such as USA Weightlifting’s Junior National Championships. Known as one of the East’s largest indoor sports complexes, the center boasts about 240,000 square-feet of single-ﬂoor exhibition space, perfect for martial arts and wrestling competitions.
3. Valley Forge Casino Resort Event Center Sports: Billiards, fencing, martial arts, weightlifting, wresting 4 The Valley Forge Resort’s Event Center has had a busy season as the most recent host of the USA Weightlifting Nike American Open Series in July 2018. With about 50,000 square-feet of multi- purpose facility space, the event center is the Planner Perspective perfect venue for indoor sports competitions and “The Valley Forge Invitational was a tremendous success, but national tournaments. wouldn’t have been possible without the strong support and guidance from the Valley Forge Tourism & Convention Board 4. Competitive Edge (VFTCB). Their involvement and leadership e¦orts helped Sports: Basketball, futsal, volleyball to create a solid sponsorship foundation, as well as media Valley Forge’s Competitive Edge is another presence, in all of the neighboring communities. We are sports facility that remains consistently busy, looking forward to many years of partnership as we prepare hosting more than 10 basketball tournaments at the next generation of LPGA stars for success.” the junior high and high school levels annually. – Mike Nichols, Chief Business O cer, LPGA Symetra Tour This large complex’s 6,000 square-feet of open space, ﬁve maple hardwood courts, energy ecient lighting and electronic scoreboards make it one of the most popular basketball facilities in the mid-Atlantic.
Valley Forge Sports/Valley Forge 5. Germantown Academy Tourism & Convention Board Sports: All Germantown houses two gymnasiums equipped Marc Kaminetsky with a six-lane pool and diving boards, Director of Sports, Tourism & Convention Sales multipurpose wooden courts and a wrestling Phone: 610-834-7972 room complete with ﬂoor mats. One of the gyms Email: [email protected] even features a 15,000-square-foot ﬁeld house Website: www.valleyforge.org with three volleyball courts, two basketballs courts and a rock-climbing wall. The ﬁeld house can seat 2,750 spectators. PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 1:54 PM Page 10
2 3 Chester County, PA A multitude of sports facilities in historic Chester County, Pennsylvania makes it a winning destination.
Chester County is rich in facilities and oers the For those who want to shop, visit Downtown West beneﬁts of the great outdoors. The Brandywine Chester, an eclectic mix of college town, county Valley oers wide open spaces in a dynamic park seat and historic destination. A shopping mecca system, plus the infrastructure that includes airports, where sidewalk sales are numerous, as are tongue- highways and great sports facilities. With three in-cheek events like “Touch a Truck Day.” Downtown universities within Chester County, plus four private Kennett Square, just minutes from the world-famous and public high schools, each with teams, plus Longwood Gardens, oers a chance to discover Main powerful youth, club and adult programs. Street America, full of distinctive and independent shops, restaurants and galleries. Things to do in Chester County A sporting event makes memories for its participants How to Get to Chester County beyond the competition. As the planner, you’re not West Chester is a two-hour drive from the major only looking for facilities that are right for the teams, population centers in New York City, Washington, but also building a schedule of activities that ensures D.C., Baltimore and southeastern Pennsylvania. proper entertainments and the personal growth of Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rochester and Richmond are new learning. between four to six hours away. Visitors ﬂying into Philadelphia International Airport can reach hotels Longwood Gardens sharpens your sense of the in Chester County by rental car, cab or car service, beauty of the outdoors, with gardens, landscapes, a ride of roughly 45 minutes depending on your ﬂowers, arbors and ﬂowering plants. Special events destination. plus artistic performances lend an extra panache. While thinking of nature, sample Marsh Creek Planner Perspective State Park, with outdoor activities, year ‘round. “NXT Sports runs events across the country, and the Take your pick from hiking, ice-skating, canoeing, Chester County CVB are by far our strongest local ﬁshing on Marsh Creek Lake.Over 40 civilian and event partner. The support of the Chester County military helicopters are on display at The American CVB has played a major role in our decision to Helicopter Museum and Education Center in West expand NXT’s local portfolio of events.” Chester, along with highlights, history, science and – Joel Zuercher, President & General Counsel, technology of those rotary-winged aviation craft. NXT Sports
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 1:59 PM Page 11
1. UnitUniteded Sports 3. WestW t ChesChesterCheses3. er Univtt Universityersity Sports: BBadminton,adminton, baskbasketball,etball, ﬁeld hockhockey,eeyyy,, ﬂag ffoofootball,ootball, Sports: Football,FFooootball, trtrack rackack and ﬁeld, baskbasketball,etball, diving, gymnasgymnastics,tics, lacrlacrosse,ossssee,, pickleball, socsoccer,cerr,, sosoftball,ftball, vvolleyball,olleeyyball, vvolleyball,olleeyyballl, golfgolf, f, baseball, socsoccer,cerr,, rugbrugby, bbyyy,, ﬁeld hockhockey,eeyyy,, multi-purpose lacrlacrosse,osssesee,, sswimmingwimming Thehe wT world-classorld-class UnitUniteded Sports, the rregion’segion’s larlargestgess t sports John A. FFarrellell Sarr Stadiumtadium ccontainsontains 77,500,500 seaseats fforor fts footballootball and facility,acilityf , with both indoor and outoutdoordoor surfsurfaces,aces, emeremergedged frfromom tracktrack and ﬁeld and SerpicSerpicoo SStadiumtadium ffeaturesea es 1,turea 1,000000 bleacher an old airport using $15 million in privprivatee funds, tta ttoo becbecomeome seatsts fsea foror baseball ffans,ans, a nanatural grtur grasss surfsurfasal surface, a sceacs scoreboard,eboaror, d, a ttop ca contenderontop ender ffor yyour eor event.ent. Tvour Thesehese 60 acracreses of outoutdoordoor twtwoo dugouts, twtwoo bullpens and babattingtting cages. Hollinger Field ﬁelds and 12127,00077,,000 squarsquaree ffeeteet of indoor spacspacee arare locae locatedte ed in HouseHouse,, localocatedt, ed on the main campus, seaseatsts 2,500 fforor baskbasketballetball Downingtown,owningtDo wn, a southsouthwestesw t Philadelphia suburb in the heart and can also hoshost vvolleyball eollet events.vyball ents. John A. RRockwellwock ell Field is a of the BrBrandywineandywine VValley. Tyalle Thishis f. facilityacility has 11 prpremieremier ﬁelds soccerer facilityfcsoc acility with artiﬁcial ﬁeld turf and twtwoo adjacadjacent nanaturalturent al adjacadjacentent the indoor ccomplex,omplex, with ssyntheticynthetic ﬁeld turf and full grass practiceprasgr acticactics e ﬁelds. WWest Cheses Chesterer Univtt UnivUniversityersity Softball Field has ﬁeld lighting fforor night plaplayy on ﬁelds 1-4. TenTen thousandth squarsquaree a dirt and claclayy inﬁeld mix and a nanaturalal grtur grgrassasal s outﬁeld. GrGrahamaham ffeeteet of parking is also aavailable..ailablev NatatoriumttaNa orium can hoshostt sswimming,wimming, diving and wwater polo eta events.ents.ver
2. IcIcelineeline IcIcee Rink Sports: IcIcee hockhockey,eeyyy,, ﬁgurﬁguree skskating,kaating, icicee skskatingkaating hestC er Countyounty C nfero ncee Thehe rush tT too goal sstartstarts on one of ffour NHLNHL-regulationegulaegula-rour tion icicee andand Visitors Bureau surfaces aacsurf att Ices Icee Line Quad Rinks in WWest Cheses Chester,tt err,, each with seaseatingting capacity of 500500.. TTakeTakake pride prpresentingesenting yyour eeventent avour att arT vis Geiser this sstate-of-the-artttathis e-of-the-art ffacility,acility, be it icice skskating,ae ting, ﬁgurﬁgure skskatingae ting Sports & Events Sales Manager or hockhockey. Tyeor Threeee univhr. universityuniversity teamsteams and junior hockhockeyy te teamseams Phone: 484-840-7216 call IcIcelineeline home with dodozensens of tournamentstz ournaments yyear-roundear-round in Email: tra [email protected] inevw lle c.ya om hockey, ﬁgureﬁguryehock e sk, skatingskae ting and iceic skating.skae ting. Goal Line PPub, locaub locatedt, ed Website: w ww .brandywineinevw lle c.ya om//sportssports in the rink, ooverlooksverlooks the iceic and featuresf es an eetureae extensivee fensivxtes foodood and bebeverageervand age menu.
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 1:44 PM Page 12
1 Lehigh Valley, PA World-class sports amenities and elite attractions combined with a convenient location make Lehigh Valley the prime spot for sports events.
Lehigh Valley brings together the power of three How to Get to Lehigh Valley cities: Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton. With the Lehigh Valley is a 90-minute drive west of Manhattan amenities of three destinations rolled into one, and a 60-minute drive north of Philadelphia. A third sports organizers have everything they need right at of the U.S. and one-half of Canadian consumers are their ﬁngertips. Coaches, athletes and their fans will within a day’s drive. There are three major airports enjoy the competition at elite sports venues, as well with a 90-minute drive of Lehigh Valley. Lehigh as all the wonderful attractions o the ﬁeld. From Valley International Airport (ABE) is the fourth quaint towns to rolling countrysides to metropolitan largest airport in Pennsylvania and oers daily landscapes, there’s something for everyone in Lehigh nonstop ﬂights to 11 destinations. Newark Liberty Valley. Airport (EWR) and Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) both oer daily nonstop ﬂights to destinations Things to do in Lehigh Valley all over the country and internationally. Lehigh Valley provides visitors with a plethora of activities appropriate for all age groups and Planner Perspective interests. Here’s a fun fact you may not have known: “East Coast Volleyball has been fortunate and All Crayola products are made in Lehigh Valley. The thankful to be working with an organization Crayola Experience, located in Easton, immerses dedicated to supporting, growing and promoting our guests in a colorful world where they can draw, Annual East Coast Volleyball Events in the Lehigh paint and create with the latest products. There are Valley. Discover Lehigh Valley Sports is dedicated four ﬂoors to explore, with hands-on and interactive to Sports Travel Tourism Industry, and they’ve been attractions that will keep families and their kids with us from year one. I can’t say enough regarding entertained all day long. Discover Lehigh Valley Sports’ commitment and help towards our sports events. It is truly a pleasure Another fun family attraction is Dorney Park and working with Discover Lehigh Valley Sports every Wildwater Kingdom. This popular spot features two year, as we look forward to a continued strong and parks spread across 200 acres with more than 100 prosperous relationship.” rides, including seven roller coasters and the largest – Chris Ho, President, East Coast Volleyball collection of kids’ rides in Planet Snoopy.
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 1:50 PM Page 13
FACILITY SPOTLIGHT seats for sports events and expands to 19,000 square feet of space with the seats retracted, allowing to accommodate for several other events. 1. Lehigh County Sports Fields Sports: Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee 4. Goodman Stadium & Track/Field Complex Sports: Soccer, lacrosse, track & ﬁeld, Ultimate Frisbee, The Lehigh County Sports Fields are a ﬁrst-class sports cross country complex. It hosts several local and national tournaments, drawing teams from the Mid-Atlantic and Eastern states. The Goodman Stadium is home to the Lehigh University Football venue features 12+ playing areas, three of which are equipped team as well as the United Soccer League’s (USL) Bethlehem with lights. Guests will also ﬁnd a walking/running track, a Steel FC. This venue has a scenic view of South Mountain, and picnic pavilion, and plenty of parking spaces. has been deemed as having the “Best Game Day Atmosphere in the Patriot League.” It has seating for 16,000 people and 2. PPL Center a natural grass surface. The Goodman Track & Field Complex Sports: Hockey, ﬁgure skating, wrestling, basketball, is the main residence for the university’s men’s and women’s volleyball, indoor racing, indoor football outdoor track and ﬁeld program. It has nine lanes surfaced with ProTurf, a high jump area, long jump pit, pole vault mat Located in downtown Allentown, PPL Center is a state-of-the- and throwing area. art arena. It’s home to the Phantoms, an AHL aliate of the NHL Philadelphia Flyers. The venue also plays host to regional events from hockey leagues and ﬁgure skating competitions to numerous NCAA championship events. The arena features on- Discover Lehigh Valley Sports site food, parking and seating for 8,500 for hockey games. Michael Kuzy 3.Stabler Arena Director of Sports Tourism Sports: Wrestling, basketball, volleyball Phone: 610-882-9200 Situated on the Lehigh University campus, Stabler Arena is Email: k[email protected] home to the men’s and women’s basketball programs, as well Website: www.DiscoverLehighValleySports.com as the university wrestling team. The facility features 5,400
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:50 PM Page 14
1 3 Erie, PA The lakefront city of Erie is a premier destination for sports planners who seek quality facilities and a community dedicated to sports.
Sports play an important role in the community of How to Get to Erie Erie, Pennsylvania, and the region has developed For a road trip, you can get to Erie easily via I-79 a strong reputation as a premier destination for from Pittsburgh and I-90 from Cleveland and athletes and sports groups. With a supportive local Bu alo. Erie International Airport is served by three sta ready to assist in planning events for a wide major airline carriers—United, Delta and American range of sports, Erie is truly a sporting destination Airlines—with nonstop ﬂights to Detroit, Chicago and not to be missed. Philadelphia, and connections to over 1,100 dierent destinations. Things to do in Erie What trip to Erie is complete without a visit to the Planner Perspective city’s namesake? Head to the shores of Lake Erie “I was amazed at the various aspects and details and take in the natural beauty at Presque Isle State of our Stars and Stripes Gymnastics Invitational Park (French for “almost an island”). Here you can that the Sports Commission was able to assist with. meander along seven miles of sandy beaches, enjoy The Erie Sports Commission was instrumental in a picnic with friends and teammates, hike along assisting the host organization, Erie Gymnastics, the 25 miles of trails or rent a kayak and explore by with high-proﬁle promotions, and was also vital in water. Whether you prefer to explore at a leisurely establishing contacts and working with local hotels pace or have a need for speed, there are numerous to provide beneﬁts to both Erie Gymnastics and our ways to explore Presque Isle: Surreys, water skis, visiting athletes. I highly recommend the Erie Sports boats, bikes or your own two feet. Commission, and will use them for future events.” – Doug Pershun, Stars and Stripes Gymnastics Get your adrenaline pumping at Waldameer Park Invitational & Water World, near the entrance to Presque Isle State Park, and test your fears on the Ravine Flyer II – voted one of the best wooden roller coasters in the world
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 1:41 PM Page 15
FACILITYFACILITY SPOTLIGHT 3. BayfrontBayfr3. Cyfr Conventionention Cvonont Centererenter GGymnastics,Gymnasymnastics,ti ﬁtness/physique,ﬁtnesss/s///phphhhyyysiquesiquei e,, cheerleadingcheerl h l Need spacspace fforor ye yourour nenext eevent?ent? Tvxt Thehe BaBayfront Cyfrhe Conventionvonont ention 1. PresquePresque Isle SStatee Ptta Park/ark/ PrPresqueesque Isle BaBayy CenterentC er is made tto hoshost yo yourour grt groupoup in sstyle. Ttyle The 100. 100,000,he 000 Sports: Running, beach volleyball,volleeyball,yball, bicbicycle,cyyclee,, ﬁﬁshing, beach square footfsquar oot ffacilityfe acility rregularlyegularly hoshoststs some of the larlargestgest sports, triathlontriathlon gymnasticsgymnastics and billiarbilliardsds ttournamentsournaments in the sstate,etta , and the PresquePresque Isle StateState PPark,rk, a fforestedtesora ed peninsula jutting intinto LakLakeeo stata is wellws ell vversedersed in acaccommodatingommodac ting a vvarietyariety of eevents. Tv Treatearents. t Erie,Erie, is perfectperfect ffororor all of yyourour outoutdoordoordoor pursuits.pursuits. AAcrossoscr s 3,2003,200 youryour spectaspectators tt to easors easy aco accessescy s with nearly 500 frfreeee parking acresacres youyouou will ﬁnd sesevenven miles of sandy beaches with boaboatt spacesspaces and twtwoo adjoining hothotels thathatt ararels aree perft perfectect fforor hoshostingting launches as wellwell as ﬂaﬂatt trtrailsails thathatt araree idealideal fforor ccycling,ycling, running,running, spectatorsors and aathletes.atspecta thletes. triathlontriatthlonhlon and beach sports events.events. TThehehe peninsula crcreatestea es PrPresqueesque Isle BaBay,yy,, which is prprotectedectot ed frfromom LakLakee ErieErie,, fullfull ofof somesome ofof thethe 4. ErieBank Sports PParkark bbestest basbasss ﬁshing in the ccountry,ountryy,, and prprovidesovides aa perfperfectect localocationtion Sports: SocSoccer,cerr,, icicee hockhockey,eeyyy,, lacrlacrosse,ossssee,, baskbasketball,etball, vvolleyballolleeyyball fforor ﬁshing ttournaments.ournaments. Thehe formerfT ormer FFamilyamily FirsFirstt Sports PParkark wwentent thrthroughough a $9$9.1.1 million renovationreno aveno tion in 202018 thathatt sa18 saww the insinstallationtallation of twtwoo NHL 2. Erie InsurInsuranceanc Aranc Arenaenae regulation-sizeegular tion-size icicee rinks, cconstructiononstruction of eight locklockerer rrooms,ooms, Sports: Hockey,Hockeeyyy,, indoor ffoofootball,ootball, baskbasketball,etball, wrwrestlingestling resurfacingesurfr acing of the ffour-courtour-court gymnasium and rrestorationaortes tion of LocatedtocaL ed in the heart of dodowntownwn Erie,Erieownt , this multipurpose the tenten outoutdoor grgrassasdoor s ﬁelds, among other imprimprovements.vo ements. TThehe indoor ararenaena is ideal fforor hostinghosting anyany number of sports, facility,acilityf , northnorthwestern Ptesw, Pennsylvania’ss larlarania’ylvennsern largest,t, encgess encompassesompasses 43 including hockhockey,ye , basketballbasky etball and wrestling.wr tling. TheTes he ararenaena acresacres of land in the heart of Erie’Erie’ss shopping and ententertainmentertainment underwunderwentent a $4$477 million rrestorationaortes tion and expansionexpansion in 20201414 districtdistrict on IntInterstatee 90ttaers 90 thathatt has made it bigger and bettbetter than ever.e . And ororerver organizersganizers agragreeee – as the vvenueenue has hoshostedted major eeventsvents including the Erie Sports Commission 201818 C20 Collegeollege HockHockeyy Inc. Ice BrBreakereake er TournamentTournamournament and 20201414 NCAAA WNCA Women’somen’s Division II BaskBasketballetball ElitElitee Eight. Mark Jeanneret, CSEE Executive Director Phone: 814-454-1000 Email: [email protected] Website: w ww .ErieSportsC.ErieSportsCommis ion.cs om
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:34 PM Page 16
1 Greater Johnstown Nestled in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania, visitors come for the sports and stay for the scenic beauty and wealth of outdoor activities.
Things to do in Johnstown and How to Get to Johnstown Cambria County Located about 70 miles east of Pittsburgh and 80 The sports scene in Johnstown is ﬂourishing, and miles southwest of State College, PA, Johnstown is continuing to grow. It has brought visitors from near a great destination for those traveling by car. This and far who enjoy the quality venues and friendly allows for ﬂexibility to travel throughout Cambria event sta. The ideal sports destination encompasses County and experience all of the sports venues and a host of activities: cultural, historic, recreational, and recreation facilities that the area has to oer. Thanks scenic. In Greater Johnstown and Cambria County, to the local John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County you will ﬁnd all of this, and more. Airport, visitors can easily travel directly to and from both Baltimore and Pittsburgh, making for a quick Did you know Johnstown is a world record holder for simple trip. the steepest vehicular inclined plane? Well, you can experience this for yourself by hitching a ride on the Planner Perspective funicular that will take you soaring up the Johnstown “Johnstown has been the host city for the PA Inclined Plane – a thrilling and scenic experience Junior Wrestling Junior High State Championship not to be missed when visiting the region! Another Tournament for the past three years and we’ve unique Johnstown experience is Coal Tubin’ on the been extremely pleased with the support we’ve Stonycreek River. For a bit more of an active outing received. The city, the business community and the and one that is great for groups, try your hand at Convention & Visitors Bureau have done everything Geocaching on the Johnstown GeoTrail. Geocaching possible to make this a ﬁrst-class event for the young utilizes GPS to guide participants through interesting wrestlers and their families. We hope to continue locales and with the goal of locating a hidden box holding our tournament in Johnstown for the next or “cache” that contains small trinkets for trading. several years.” Another popular destination for groups is the Ghost – George LeGrand, Tournament Director Town Trail, where visitors can enjoy walking, running, or biking along developed paths that lead through abandoned coal-mining communities – an important part of the region’s history.
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:48 PM Page 17
1. 1st1st Summit ArArenaena @ Cambria 3. RockRock Run RRecreation Areaecr Areaeation Sports: ATV,ATVV,, dirt biking CountyCounty WarWar Memorial Sports: Hockey,Hockeeyyy,, baskbasketball,etball, cheerleading, skskating, kkaa wrwrestlingtlingesting, TheThe AlleghenAlleghenyy Mountains areare a beautiful backdropbackdrop within Cambria CCountyounty – so whwhyy not get out and enjoenjoyy the vieviewsws As one of the prpremieremier sports ffacilitiesacilities in Cambria CCounty,ounty, the fromom aboveabofr ve on the back of a bike?bik Te Thereher? arher are oe overve er 140 miles 1s1stt Summit ArenaArena has becbecomeome a go-tgo-too fforor sports planners of trailstrails within the RockRock Run RecreationR tion ArAreaAreaecr jusjustt wea waitingaiting ttoo looking forfor ttopop quality amenities and eeventvent planning be explored,explorbe xplored, and the arareaea has becomebecome a popular wweekendeekend assistance. Tetancsisas Thishis 4,4,000-seat4,. 000-seat ararenaena has hoshosteded tt ttournaments,ournaments, getawayy forfawgeta for ATV,Ay TVV,, dirt bikbike,e, OHV and side-bside-by-sidey-side enthusiasenthusiasts!ts! games, concerts,concerts, and mormore!e! Home ttoo both a local junior EventsvE ents such as RockRock Run’sRun’s Summer BlasBlastt and Rally aatt the RRockock and univuniversityersity hockhockey te team,eam, 1sy 1stt Summit ArArenaena cacatersers ttena too aree justjusar t a couplec examplesexouple amples of waysw ya s in which sports loloversers makv makee both plaplayersers and fyboth ffans,ans, ooeringering plenty of parking options, the mostmost of the AlleghenyAllegheny Mountain trails.trails. concessions, resoncc restroomstressions, trooms and plaplayerer fy facilities.acilities. Helpful sstata araree availableailable tva to asassistsiso with esis eventvt ent planning – see hohoww 1s1stt Summit ArArenaena can taktakee yyour ee eventent frvour fromom good tto grgreat!t!eao t! teaGr t r Johns ote wn/ 2. SarSargent’ss SS’gent Stadiumtadium aatt the PPointoint CambriaCambria County CVB Sports: BBaseball,aseball,ll, ffoofootballootball Foror a tF top-notchop-notch baseball ffacilityacility right in dodowntownwntownt wn JohnsJohnstown,ot wn, Nicole WWaligoraligora check out SarSargent’sgent s S’gent Stadiumtadium aatt the PPoint.oint. Named fforor its Sports TrTrraavel Progrogram Coor inatd or position aatt the cconﬂuenceonﬂuence of the thrthreeee rivrivers,ers, the park is both Phone: 800-237 -8590 ext. 30 scenicscenic and practical.practical. It is home ttoo the annual All American Email: [email protected]@visitjohns ot npa.cw om AmateurtAma eur Baseball AsAssociationsocia (A(AAABA)Ation ABA) nanationaltional ttournament,ournament, Website: w .ww vvisitjohnsisitjohns ot npa.cw om and is also used fforor local high school ffootballootball games. FForor those looking toto plan an eeventvent in the heart of JohnsJohnstown,t wn, Sarot Sargent’s’gent s StadiumStadium is not ttoo be mismissed.sed.
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:22 PM Page 18
1 3 Hershey Harrisburg, PA With dozens of sports tournaments successfully planned and executed each year, Hershey Harrisburg is quickly soaring to the top of the sports world.
A Sweet Place to Play How to Get to Hershey Harrisburg By Car: Hosting an event in the Hershey Harrisburg Region Hershey and Harrisburg are easily accessible and means that you and your teams, attendees and located just three hours or less from high population participants get to experience the downtown buzz centers on the East Coast. Take I-81, I-83, the of Pennsylvania’s capital city (Harrisburg) and the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Route 11 from destinations sights, sounds and tastes of Hershey in the same including Philadelphia, New York City, Baltimore/ trip. Hershey and Harrisburg are just a few miles Washington D.C. and Pittsburgh. Just 20 minutes apart, and each location has a long list of facilities, away from the city, the Harrisburg International hotels, beneﬁts and amenities that are attractive Airport travels non-stop to 12 destinations over the to sports and events rights holders. The many course of 70 ﬂights each day. attractions in Hershey are huge draws for sports planners because they know it’s a destination well Planner Perspective suited for family travel. It’s home to Hersheypark®, “From the initial planning process through execution a world-class theme park with 13 (as of 2018) on race day, Hershey Harrisburg Sports & Events roller coasters, family and children’s rides and a Authority paved the way for an amazing ﬁrst-year huge waterpark. One of the region’s most visited event. Their in-depth knowledge of local venues, attractions is Hershey’s Chocolate World Attraction, relationship with key hospitality leaders and contacts where guests create their own candy tag">bar and take a with sponsors and all levels of regional government FREE simulated chocolate factory tour. The Hershey were catalysts to our success. While HHSE Harrisburg Region is home to four professional represents a vibrant mid-major market, it operates teams: Harrisburg Senators baseball, Hershey Bears® like a big league DMO.” Hockey, Harrisburg Heat indoor soccer and PennFC – Steve Meckfessel, National Series Director, Fondo USL soccer. Cycling Circuit USA (Harrisburg, August 2018)
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:29 PM Page 19
Championships hahaveve been held herheree on seseveralal ocerve occasions.casions. TThehe FACILITYFFAACILITY SPOTLIGHT Harlem GlobetrGlobetrottersotters and WWWE shoshowswWE s comecome ts to towntoo wn regularly,regularly, and ffansans hahavevans e been ententertainedertained bbyy musical acts rranginganging frfromom Carrie UnderwUnderwood ttoo Vood Vanan Halen. In 202016,16, the ffacility ininvestedtesvacility ed 1. PPennsylvaniaania FFylvenns1. Farmarm ShoShoww CComplexomplex $4.$4.77 million fforor a nenew scscoreboard,eboarorw d, LED electrelectronicsonics and & Expo CCenterererent prproductionoduction ssystem.tsy em. Sports: Archery,Archeryy,, baskbasketball,etball, fencing,fencing, indoor socsoccer,cerr,, martial 3. FNB Field arts, vvolleyball,olleeyball,yball, wwrwrestlingtlinges Sports: BBaseball,aseball, socsoccercer Each year,yearr,, the multi-purposem PPennsylvaniaania Fylvenns Farmarm ShoShoww SituatedtSitua ed in the state’ss e’tta s capital along the Susquehanna River,Riverr,, ComplexompleC x & Expo CCenterer hosent hoststs a vvarietyariety of eexcitingxciting sports FNB Field is home toto the HarrisburgHarrisburg Senators,Senatg ors, the WashingtonWashington events,ve ents, highlightedhighlighted bbyy the USJN HersheHershey ShoShowcasewy wcase and ffourour Nationals’Nationals’ AAA aliate.alia . WhenWetA hen the SenatorsSenators areart e out of town,town, Keystoneone RegionalRtsyeK egional VVolleyballolleyball AsAssociationsocia eevents.ents. Tvtion TThehe USJN the groundsgrounds crewcreounds w ﬂips the ﬁeld tot hosthost PennPo P FCFt professionalprenn esofC sional HersheHershey ShoShowcasewy case is a ffour-dayour-day girls baskbasketballetball eevent drvetball drawingaent wing soccer.ercsoc . In 20092009,, FNB Field underwunderwentent a major $45 million mormoree than 200 tteams tto ceams competeompeto e on 20 ccourts,ourts, while the renovationtion prproject.pravenor oject. TThehe sstadiumtadium nonoww houses luxury seaseating,ting, KRKRVAVVAA eeventsvents each use up ttoo 29 ccourtsourts fforor both boboysys and a high-deﬁnition ﬁeld lighting ssystem,tsy em, a “Midw“Midway”ay” activities girls tournaments.tournaments. Both eeventsents takv takee placplacee in the ccomplex’sx’omple s center forfentc or ffamiliesfer amilies and childrchildren,en, 20 suitsuiteses with skskyline vieviews,wyline s, 172,000-square-foot2,17 000-square-foot Expo Hall. TThehe ccomplexomplex is home ttoo the a newnew sound ssystem, prtsy presss boesem, boxx with digital amenities and a HarrisburHarrisburg HeaHeatt prproprg o indoor socsoccerer tc team,eam, which plaplaysys its home reservedeservr ed parking lot. FNB Field is the main aattractionttraction on the games in the 77,300-seat,300-sea,30 t NeNeww Holland ArArena.ena. EEventent orvena. organizersganizers 62-acre62-acre City Island, which also ffeaturesturea es a multi-purpose grgrassass enjoenjoyy the seemingly unlimitunlimiteded setup options in a ffacilityacility thathatt ﬁeld, riversideriverside park, launching sitsite fforor rive rivriverer cruises, miniaminiatureture boasts seboas sevenvts en halls, thrthreeee ararenas,enas, banquet spacspacee and a full golf and mormore..e cateringering kittca kitchen.chen. HersheHershey Harrisburg 2. Giant CCenter enter ent SportsSports & Events Authority Sports: BBasketball,asketball,ball, cheercheer, r,, icicee sports, wrwrestlingestling Gregg Cook Giant CCentererent is the rregularegular vvenueenue fforor the HersheHersheyy Bears AHL Executive Director hockey tehock team.eam. Ty Thishis sstate-of-the-art,ttahis e-of-the-art, 1010,500-seat,500-seat ararenaena hoshoststs icicee Phone: 717 -231-2996 shows, cwsho concerts,erts, ssoncs, statettaerts, e high school championships (wr(wrestling,estling, Email: [email protected]@hhsportsandev nts.ce om ccompetitiveompetitive cheer and baskbasketball),etball), grgraduations,aduations, and mormore.. Te Thehe Website: w ww ..hhsportsandehhsportsandev nts.ce om U.S..S. FigurU Figure SkSkatingting EasEasae Easterntting ern Sectional SSynchronizedonizynchr Skoniz Skatingaed ting
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:11 PM Page 20
1 3 Philadelphia, PA Home to nine professional sports teams, nearly 100 collegiate institutions and countless sports organizations, Philadelphia is a world-class sports destination.
Philadelphia is the sixth largest city in the country, ascended in the ﬁlm Rocky. Once at the top of the with a population of more than 1.5 million, and steps, sightseers can enjoy the picturesque view of is one of the oldest cities in the United States, Eakins Oval, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and founded in 1682. Thus, the city is a popular Philadelphia City Hall. destination for lovers of history and those who crave a wide variety of entertainment options in a Just west of the Philadelphia Museum of Art resides bustling metropolis. Boathouse Row, where 19th-century boathouses line the Schuylkill River. Boathouse Row features Things to do in Philadelphia a series of historic structures, including Fairmount Visitors to Philadelphia’s Historic District will Park’s recreation center and Lloyd Hall. At night, experience a wealth of captivating experiences. these buildings are illuminated, oering one of the The district includes some of the nation’s most city’s most majestic views. important monuments and attractions, including the Liberty Bell, where travelers can enjoy an up-close How to Get to Philadelphia view of the famously cracked relic; Independence Philadelphia is connected to several major highways Hall, the birthplace of the Declaration of including the PA Turnpike (I-276), I-76, I-476, I-95, Independence and the Constitution; and the U.S. 1 and the New Jersey Turnpike. The Philadelphia National Constitution Center, which brings the International Airport is approximately seven miles Constitution to life by hosting interactive exhibits. from Center City and oers frequent service for The Historic District is also home to Philadelphia- more than 25 major airlines. themed mini-golf, a world-class waterfront park and delicious food. The Philadelphia Museum of Planner Perspective Art houses a world-renowned collection of art in “Best draft experience ever. The standard has been a landmark building and is one of the most visited set for every future draft city to try and match.” museums in the world. It also is known as the home – Trey Wingo, ESPN–2017 NFL Draft of the famous Rocky statue and the Rocky Steps, 72 stone steps Sylvester Stallone triumphantly
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:17 PM Page 21
3. TalenTalen EnerEnergygy SStadiumtadium FACILITYFACILITY SPOTLIGHT Sports: SocSoccer,cerr,, rugbrugby,byyy,, lacrlacrosse,osssesee,, ffoofootball,ootball, ultimaultimatee frisbeet frisbee A soccer-speciﬁcsoccA er-speciﬁc sstadiumtadium localocatedted outside side id Philadelphia, TTalenalenl 1. LincLincolnoln Financial Field Energygy StadiumSEner tadium is the home sstadiumtadium of Major LLeagueeague SocSoccer’s’erc s Sports: Football,FFooootball, SocSoccer,cerr,, lacrlacrosseosssese Philadelphia Union. It opened in 20201010 aat a c10 costost t of $120 million, Home of the Super BoBowlwl Champion Philadelphia Eagles, residesresides on ChesChester’s w’ert waterfronterfrtas ont along the DelaDelawaree Rivarw Riverer LincolnLincoln Financial Field is also the sstadiumtadium wherwheree the TTempleemple and has a capacity of 18,50018,500. TThehe s. stadiumtadium has plaplayed hosy hostt ted too Owls footballfootball teamteam ccompetes.ompetes. WWithith a seaseatingting capacity the MLS All-SAll-Star GGame,ametar , quartquarterﬁnalserﬁnals of the NCANCAAA Division I of 69,176,6 6, “The“T17,9of he LincLinc” rhe recentlyently cec” completedompleted a $125 million Men’sMen’s LacrLacrosseoss se ChampionshipChampionship,, the NCANCAAA WWomen’somen’ LacrLacrosseoss se renovation.avenor tion. It servserveses as home of the clasclassicsic ArmArmy-Navy Gv-Naysic Game,amey , Championships, the annual CCollegiatee RugbRugbtollegia Rugbyy Championships hostshosts numerousnumerous NCANCAAA Men’Men’s LacrLacrosseoss se Championships and and Army-NavyArmyand Socv-Nay Soccerer Cupcy Cup. . TalenTalen EnerEnergygy has also hoshostedted entertainedentertained manyman intinternationalernay tional socsoccer mac matches,ter ches, including the internationalernaint tional rugbrugby mamatchesty ches including the US Men’Men’ss NaNationaltional FIFAA Women’sWFIF s WWorldWomen’ orld CupCup,, Gold CupCup,, CCopaopa America and UU.S..S. TTeTeameam and the wworld-famousorld-famous NeNeww ZZealandealand All Blacks. Men’ss NaMen’ Nationaltional TTeameam ccompetitions.ompetitions. LincLincolnoln Financial Field will also hoshostt the 20201919 NHL SStadiumtadium Series with the Philadelphia 4. CitizCitizensens Bank PParkark FlyFlyersers hoshostingting the PittsburPittsburghgh PPenguins,enguins, and the 20201919 & ’20 Sports: BBaseball,aseball, hockhockey,eeyyy,, rracracesaces NCANCAAA Men’Men’ss LacrLacrosseoss se Championships. CitizCitizensens Bank PParkark is the home park of Major LLeagueeague Baseball’Baseball’ss Philadelphia Phillies. Opened in 2004, the 43,43,000-000- 2. WWells F2. Fargogo Carells CCentererentgo seaseatt ballpark includes Ashburn AlleAlleyy and All-SAll-Startar WWalk,alk, which Sports: BBasketball,asketball, hockhockey,eeyyy,, wrwrestlingtlinges payss tributtributypa tributee ts too Phillies plaplayersers thay that hahavevt plav playedye ed in the MLB All-Startar GGAll-S Game.ametar . In 202012,12, the sstadiumtadium hoshostedted the NHLNHL’s W’ Winterints er ThisThis multi-purpose indoor ararenaena is the home of the NaNationaltional ClasClassicsic on NeNew YYear’s Da’earw Day,, as wys wellell as a number of Spartan Hockey LeHock League’seague’y s Philadelphia FlyFlyersers and the NaNationaltional RacRaceses and other eevents.ents.v BaskBasketballetball Association’sAssociation’socia s Philadelphia 776ers.6ers. TThehe ararenaena has hosteded manthos manyy NCANCAA ey events,vA ents, including BaskBasketball,etball, HockHockeyey (Frozenen Fzo(Fr Four)our) and WWrestlingesr tling Championships, multiple WWWEWE PHL SPORTS premier epr events,vemier ents, the 20201616 DemocrDemocratictic Naa Nationaltional CConventionvon ention Breeaa W bste er S ankot and the 20020022 NBA All-SAll-Star GGame. Tametar Thehe ar. arenaena is a part of the Director of Busines Devs elopment South Philadelphia Sports CComplex,omplex, which also includes XXﬁnityﬁnity & Sports Marketing Live,eLiv , an indoor/outdoorindoorr//outdoor dining and ententertainmentertainment vvenueenue Phone: 215-636-3319 locateded nextnetloca xt doordoor. Txt Thehe WellsW. FFargo Carells Centerer seaentgo seaseats 2020,4787,4ts 8 and is Email: [email protected] [email protected] currentlycurrently going thrthroughough a thrthree-phaseee-phase $250 million rrenovationaveno tion WWebsitebsite: w www .PHLSports. omc thatthat will be completedcomplet bby 20ed 2021.21.y
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:51 AM Page 22
4 1 York, PA Make your York sports event stand out with top-notch facilities, cheer-worthy attractions and a convenient location everyone will appreciate.
Considered a top sports area in Pennsylvania, Outdoor enthusiasts will have no shortage of things York is brimming with ﬁrst-class facilities, a range to do. York County features many parks oering of attractions, comfortable lodging options and hiking and biking trails, water activities, and golf an athletic spirit that rivals many big cities. Its courses. Explore nearly 30 miles of trails on the convenient location also makes it incredibly York Country Heritage Rail Trail or enjoy ziplining accessible from practically anywhere in the country. in the summer and skiing in the winter at Roundtop Mountain Resort. Things to do in York County As the Factory Tour Capital of the World, York How to Get to York County gives you a behind-the-scenes look at how some York is situated o I-83, just south of the of America’s most well-known products are made. Pennsylvania Turnpike and a quick drive from I-95, Step onto the factory ﬂoor at Harley-Davidson and I-495 and I-695. The area is less than 100 miles see the motorcycles come to life; look down on from major cities including Baltimore, Gettysburg, the immense potato chip operations at Utz Quality Harrisburg, Lancaster, Philadelphia, Washington, Foods; watch as natural body care products are D.C., and Wilmington. York sits in between created at Sunrise Soap Company; or enjoy warm Baltimore-Washington International Airport and samples of chips fresh out of the fryer at Martin’s Harrisburg International airport. Snack Foods. Planner Perspective Discover York County’s compelling past at some of “We had the pleasure of working with the sta at its historic sites and museums, including the National the York City Ice Arena to host the 2017 Special Clock & Watch Museum, the Teaching Museum for Olympics Pennsylvania Figure Skating State Games. the Fiber Arts & Textiles, the York County History The arena was very accommodating and made our Center. History bus will love the newest attraction, athletes feel like celebrities. We look forward to Steam Into History, a replica of a Civil War-era train working with them on more events!” that acts as a traveling museum. – Gina Reid, Sr. Competition Director, Special Olympics Pennsylvania
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 12:09 PM Page 23
FACILITYFACILITY SPOTLIGHT 3. GrahamGraham AAquatic Cqua Centererenttic Sports: SSwimmingwimming Thehe GrahamGrT aham AAquatic Cqua Center fenttic featureses 33,tureaer 33,33,000000 squarsquaree ffeeteet of 1. YorkYork Expo CCentererent ﬂexibleﬂexible indoor and outoutdoordoor spacspace,e, making it an ideal spot foror swimmingsf wimming eevents.vents. It has hoshostedted the PSPSACC SA Swimmingwimming Sports: Wrestling,WWrr tling, ves vvolleyball,olleeyball,yball, ﬂoor hockhockey,eeyyy,, ccheerleading, Championships; MAMACC SSwimmingwimming Championships; and the gymnasgymnastics, crcrossostics, cos countryountrys Middle AtlanticAtlantic JO SSwimmingwimming Championships. TThehe ccomplexomplex WithWith indoor and outdooroutdoor facilities,facilities, the 120-acr120-acree YYorkork can be adjusadjusteded ft for 16 25-25-yardaryor d lanes or eight 25-met25-meterer lanes Expo CenterC er oersoent ers versatileversaers tile spacespac thattha allowsalloe s it twt ttoo servservee inside and ffourour 25-met25-meterer lanes outsideoutside.. a wide rangerange of sports eevents.ents. TheTv he venuevenue consistsconsists of the 74,000-square-foot4,7 000-square-foot Utz ArenaArena with a capacity of 5,500; the 4. PeoplesBankPeoplesBank PParkark 58,58,000-square-foot000-square-foot Memorial Hall with a capacity of 4,4,000;000; Sports: BBaseball,aseball, ﬁeld hockhockey,eeyyy,, lacrlacrosse,osssessee,, ffoofootball,ootball, and the 1010,000-capacity,000-capacity GrGrandstand.andstand. It has wwelcomedelc eeventsvomed ents soccer,csoc err,, sossoftballftball, like the Tlik Tyrantant WWyre Wrestling’ss Ctling’esrant Columbusolumbus DaDayy Duals, the USUSAA WrestlingesrW tling Cadet Duals, the MLK KickKickoo ClasClassic,sic, the MAPL FFormerlyormerly knoknownwn as Santander Stadium,Stadium, PPeoplesBankeoplesBank PParkark is Girls VVolleyballolleGirls yball TTournament,ournament, the Blue Ribbon BrBrawl Va Volleyballollewl yball one of the ttopop sports venuesvenues in YorkYork CCounty.ounty. Home ttoo the YYorkork TTournament,ournament, and the KKeystone Stsye Statee Gttaone Gamesames Floor HockHockey..ye RevolutionveR olution baseball tteam,eam, this stadiumstadium has all the amenities fforor a baseball ccompetition.ompetition. It can also hoshostt a vvarietyariety of other 2. Memorial PParkark Softball CComplexxomplex sports eevents,vsports ents, fromfrv om footballfootball and lacrlacrosseos tos to socse soccerco er and ﬁeld hockey.. Tyehock TheThe stadiums. tadium seatsseats 6,500 peoplepeople, and ffeaturesturea, es full Sports: BBaseball,aseball, crcrossoss ccountry,ountryy,, kickball, concessions,esoncc sions, picnic arareas,eas, lockerlocker roomsrooms and banquet ffacilities.acilities. sand vvolleyball,olleeyball,yball, sosoftballftball A multi-sport vvenue,enue, Memorial PParkark Softball CComplexomplex has hosted sethos several eerved eventsval ents fv foror USUSAA Softball, the PPennsylvaniaenns Sylvenns Statettaania e Sport YYorkork Championships, and USUSAA Softball EasEasternern Nat Nationals.tionals. TThehe Laur Gurreria 72-acre2-acr7 park ffeaturesturtureae es an eight-ﬁeld softball ccomplex,omplex, which or oectDir f Sales includes Homan SStadium.tadium. FFourour of the ﬁelds araree lightlighted.ed. TThehe Phone: 717 5 x10572-96-8517 ffacilityacility also has ffourour sand vvolleyballyball colle courts,ourts, babattingtting cages, Email: [email protected] gororkpa. miniatureturminia e golfgolf, f,, a skskateta, e park, picnic arareaseas and spectaspectatoror seat seatingting Email: ww ww .SportYYork.ork. gor for 1,f 1,100..100or
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:42 AM Page 24
1 Butler County, PA This COUNTY’S most impressive feature is its wide variety of sports facilities, making it possible for numerous planners to host their tournaments at once.
Things to do in Butler County FACILITY SPOTLIGHT Butler County is known to many as one of the top nature-ﬁlled destinations of the Northeast. Explore the 1. UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex Sports: Hockey nearly 16,800-acre, Moraine State Park where there are thousands of trails for every outdoor activity, including The UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex is the primary practice biking, snowmobiling, hiking and swimming. Visitors may and training facility for the Pittsburgh Penguins, as well as a even go sailing on the park’s Lake Arthur comprehensive outpatient facility for UPMC Sports Medicine. This multi-use facility is a destination for athletes of all ages Take the excitement indoors to Butler County’s three and skill levels seeking sports medicine, performance, and indoor trampoline parks. In particular BounceU and Get rehabilitation expertise as well as hockey-speciﬁc skills and Air Pittsburgh’s newest locations indoor parks oer fun performance training. The UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex party packages including dodge balls, cushy inﬂatables, prepares athletes of all levels and hosts various tournaments, foam pits and a ninja course. The Urban Air Trampoline such as the United States Hockey League. and Adventure Park features themed packages of trampolines and live entertainment for all ages. 2. Cooper’s Lake Sports: Various How to Get to Butler County More than 450 acres with a variety of terrains will suit your Planners that are driving to Butler County are needs, including a 10-acre lake, wooded areas and mowed within reasonable distances from big cities such as ﬁelds. The rolling hills, countryside and backcountry trails Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, New contributes to a challenging obstacle course, making Cooper’s York City and Baltimore. The Pittsburgh International Lake a recurring destination for Pittsburgh’s Tough Mudder. This Airport, just 30 minutes away from Butler’s county line, hardcore, 10-12 mile obstacle course includes mud run challenges is the most convenient airport to get to where you need designed to test strength, stamina, teamwork and mental grit. to be. 3. Slippery Rock University Sports: Baseball, basketball, ﬁeld hockey, football, lacrosse, Planner Perspective soccer, softball, track and ﬁeld, volleyball “For over 15 years I have been organizing events in Butler County. I now organize the only Triathlon Series Known as one of Western Pennsylvania’s largest college in the county. I could not do this without the support campuses, Slippery Rock University covers 611 acres and houses of the county, Moraine State Park and most of all, 17 varsity sports in several modern facilities. These include, a Butler County Tourism and the Butler County Sports baseball stadium with 1,800+ seats, a Stadium that can host Commission. Their support helps us to secure our multiple sports, including football, lacrosse, soccer, ﬁeld hockey, location, sponsors, vendors and participants. Butler and track and ﬁeld. County has so much to oer. If you have not been to an event in our county, please join us. If you are looking to Butler County Sports Commission hold an event, look no further than Butler County.” Brianna Kaiser – Joella Baker, Get Fit Families/Mighty Sports Sales & Event Manager Moraine Man Race Series: Phone: 724-234-4619 Email: [email protected] Website: www.VisitButlerCounty.com
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:44 AM Page 25
2 3 State College, PA Home to a major university with a strong sports history, the State College region allows sports planners to dream big.
Snowcapped mountains, scenic valleys, and lush forests FACILITY SPOTLIGHT comprise the diverse geographic setting of Centre Country in Central Pennsylvania. Whether you’re visiting 1.Bryce Jordan Center in the middle of winter or the heat of the summer, there Sports: Basketball, hockey, multi-purpose are always countless outdoor activities that await and Home to the nationally acclaimed Penn State men’s and plenty of cultural experiences, international dining women’s basketball teams and the site of major events such options, and vibrant entertainment options. as university commencement, this 16,000-seat arena sees hundreds of thousands of fans come and go each year. It oers For a unique experience, check out Penn’s Cave, where players and fans state-of-the-art facilities, locker rooms, sound you will be guided by boat through a series of limestone systems and concessions. caverns, followed by a trip to the adjoining Wildlife Park, where you can get a ﬁrsthand glimpse at animals 2. Beaver Stadium such as bobcats, bison and deer. Nature lovers will also Sports: Football enjoy a visit to the Shavers Creek Environmental Center It’s hard to imagine a more perfect setting for football. Situated with its interactive Discover Center, hiking trails, and on the edge of the Penn State campus is a stadium of epic Raptor Center. Those looking to learn more about the proportions – in fact, with a seating capacity of more than region’s history will enjoy a tour of the Columbus Chapel 106,000, Beaver Stadium is the second-largest stadium in the & Boal Mansion Museum, where the former is a chapel Western Hemisphere and the third largest in the world. Inside transported from Spain in 1909 and the latter of which you will ﬁnd all that you would expect in a world-class facility, was home to eight generations of the Boal family for and planning your next event here is sure to impress even the over 200 years and still contains original furnishings. most devoted sports fans.
Since there will certainly be no shortage of sports fans 3. Toftrees Golf Resort among your group, take some time to learn more about Sports: Golf the athletic history and heritage of Penn State at the Toftrees Golf Resort is more than just a course – it’s truly Penn State All-Sports Museum. A trip to State College wouldn’t be complete without making time for the great an experience for players and visitors alike. Nestled among a scenic 1500-acre forest in a serene setting, Toftrees has outdoors. Tussey Mountain welcomes visitors year- round, for skiing, snowboarding, and tubing in the winter attracted top national talent, and the adjoining Resort & and go-karting, mini golf, concerts, festivals and more Conference Center is regularly recognized by Golf Digest for throughout the rest of the year. its comfort and amenities. Located just three miles from the PSU campus, the resort oers free parking and over 100 hotel Getting to State College rooms to accommodate large events. Central Pennsylvania is located about 1.5 hours Central Pennsylvania northwest of Harrisburg on US 322 W and just over 3 hours northwest of Philadelphia on I-76 and US-22. For Convention & Visitors Bureau those traveling from the west, Pittsburgh is just over 3 Shirley Smith hours away along I-99 and US-22. State College boasts Director of Sales its own airport, University Park Airport, which is located Phone: 814-231-1401 Ex 306 just minutes from the center of town. Email: [email protected] Website: www.visitpennstate.org
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:45 AM Page 26
1 Luzerne County, PA Located in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania, Luzerne County is dedicated to creating memorable sports events for planners, athletes and spectators.
Things to do in Luzerne County FACILITY SPOTLIGHT With a continental climate that sees four distinct seasons throughout the year, Luzerne County is ﬁt to host all 1. Mohegan Sun Arena sporting events, whether indoors or outdoors. Sports: Basketball, boxing, bowling, rodeo, table tennis, lacrosse Montage Mountain Waterpark and Ski Resort in Scranton With a convenient location right o of Highway Interstate I-81 provides top-notch skiing in the winter and water-ﬁlled and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Mohegan Sun Arena is a 10,000- fun in the summer, with a wave pool, lazy river and seat multi-purpose venue that is consistently ranked amongst countless exhilarating slides. For athletes and families the top venues in the world according to Billboard Magazine. visiting Luzerne County during chillier winter months, a Previously home to NCAA Division 1 and professional basketball Skyzone Trampoline Park day spent at in Pittston invites tournaments and games, the arena also has 30,000 available sports teams to bounce around in a huge pool of foam square feet of indoor meeting space and over 245,000 square Foam Zone squares in the , or soar through the air for a feet of outdoor meeting space. pickup game of basketball in the SkySlam area. Known as the nation’s largest free-admission amusement park, Knoebels Amusement Park in Elysburg provides endless 2. Toyota SportsPlex Sports: Hockey, curling, ﬁgure skating hours of classic rollercoasters, swimming, camping, kid- friendly rides and golﬁng. Serving as the o£cial practice facility for the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins and the Wilkes-Barre Junior Pens, Toyota How to Get to Luzerne County SportsPlex is Luzerne County’s go-to complex for winter Spanning the border between Luzerne County and sports. The facility oers programming for adult and youth Lackawanna County, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International teams of all ages and skill levels. The ﬁgure skating program Airport (AVP) is the ﬁfth largest airport in Pennsylvania, features coaches who were all once competitive skaters, and the primary airport of Northeast Pennsylvania and the the facility’s camps and clinics oer instruction from current best way to reach Luzerne County by air. Luzerne County and former professional players. is located at a crossroads in Northeast Pennsylvania, with Interstate Highways I-80, I-84, I-380 and I-476 being the 3. Drifton Softball Complex main ways to reach the area by car if coming from any Sports: Baseball, softball Western, Southern or Midwest states. If coming from the Drifton Softball Complex in Freeland is a one-stop shop for all east, take I-95 to I-84. things baseball and softball. Located o of Highway Interstate I-81, Drifton oers elite baseball and softball training, lessons, Planner Perspective cage rentals and more. Consisting of four lighted outdoor “Luzerne County has so many awesome facilities and ﬁelds, the facility has a capacity of 1,000 seats. we are proud to bring back to the area the Keystone State Games and the Senior Games for 2018/2019. Just Visit Luzerne County-Northeast PA about any sport has a venue and the people at Visit Luzerne County make planning an event or tournament Janet Hall simply easy with coordination of hotels, venues and Executive Director sponsorships.” Phone: 570-819-1877 – James Costello, Keystone State Game, Email: [email protected] Executive Director Website: www.visitluzernecounty.com
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:24 AM Page 27
3 Monroeville, PA A combination of convenience, affordability, entertainment and top-notch athletic facilities makes Monroeville your sporting place.
We all have our favorites. Favorite color, favorite food, favorite book. When it comes to a favorite spot, especially FACILITY SPOTLIGHT for a sports event, it’s a little harder to pick. It’s dicult to ﬁnd a location that lives up to the high expectations of 1. Monroeville Convention Center a seasoned sports planner. But Monroeville, PA may just Sports: Wrestling, cheerleading, dance, boxing become that favorite place for your athletic competitions. Located 12 miles east of downtown Pittsburgh, the Monroeville Things to do in Monroeville Convention Center is right in the heart of the action. It’s For something the whole family—or team—will enjoy, head near great dining, shopping and entertainment, and oers over to Kennywood Park. This traditional amusement convenient lodging for all tournament attendees at the park has been around since 1898, and features six roller DoubleTree by Hilton. The 100,000-square-foot facility oers coasters, a 14-ride Kiddieland and several other exciting ﬂexible space to accommodate a variety of sports, including attractions. Or you can get your thrills at Sand Castle the Tyrant Wrestling event. Water Park, where visitors can splash around in the wave pool, ﬂoat on a lazy river, or speed down one of 15 2. Monroeville Baseball Park waterslides. Sports: Baseball, softball Part of the Monroeville parks and recreation, the Monroeville Combine education and entertainment at the Carnegie Baseball Park hosts several baseball and softball events. It’s Science Center. It features four ﬂoors of interactive home to Atlantic Coast Baseball games, as well as regional and exhibits, where visitors can learn about the science local tournaments. It features four baseball ﬁelds with new turf, behind robotics or travel back in time aboard the Cold concessions, restrooms and pavilions. War-era submarine. An icon of the area, the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium have been part of the community since 1898. 3. The Club Sport and Health Sports: Gymnastics, tennis, swimming, cornhole How to Get to Monroeville The Club Sport and Health is a multi-purpose athletic facility Monroeville is accessible from the Pennsylvania Turnpike, that welcomes traditional sports events, as well as obeat I-376 and Route 22. It’s within driving distance of tournaments, like ones hosted by the American Cornhole numerous major cities, including Cleveland, Philadelphia, Organization. The 150,000-square-foot venue has a full-size Detroit, Toronto, and Washington, D.C. Monroeville is basketball court, seven regulation sized tennis courts, full 100- 12 miles from downtown Pittsburgh and 31 miles from yard turf, and indoor/outdoor pool, ﬁve batting cages and a the Pittsburgh International Airport. PIT has 74 nonstop golf simulator. ﬂights on 17 airlines, and several of the routes are oered year-round. Visit Monroeville Planner Perspective “Amy is one of the best, if not the best, in the business! Amy Capcara Her insight and knowledge of the industry is second to Sales and Marketing Manager none! When you contact her for help, she’s on it! She is Phone: 412-856-7422 always there when you need her and you can count on Email: [email protected] her to come through for you!” Website: www.visitmonroeville.com – Matthew DeSantis, Atlantic Coast Sports
PAREPRINT_8-28_Layout 1 9/17/18 11:10 AM Page 28